Friday, November 6, 2020

Tray and Tokens (311/366)


TIME: 8:35 pm
PLACE: Kitchen
SUBJECT: Ashtray & Tax Tokens

*~*~*

We are in the process of trying to make our way through the gigantic amount of items we have in the house.  I just cannot handle managing all this inventory anymore.  It's got to go!

We sold 2-dog kennels, a vintage school desk, a wooden desk and a microwave on Facebook Markeplace.  Now we only need to sell about 999,999,999,999 more items to be considered minimalists.

I was going through a basket of items from my Aunt's house - which was also my mom's home growing up, their grandparents built it and it was filled with stuff. 

Hmmm, that may be where I get my pack rat tendencies from.

Anyway, I found these things - a Bohemian Savings and Loan Association aluminum ash tray and 2-State of Illinois Retailer Occupation Tokens.  

The Bohemian Savings and Loan Association was established in 1884.  It failed in May of 1985 and was acquired with government assistance.  Then in December of 1987 it failed again and no active institution received its deposits and assets. That was during the S&L crisis, correct?  I did find a Supreme Court case for this institution:  FEDERAL SAVINGS AND LOAN INSURANCE CORPORATION, AS RECEIVER FOR BOHEMIAN SAVINGS AND LOAN ASSOCIATION, PETITIONER V. JOHN V. CAPOZZI, ET AL. No. 88-1300. It's an exciting read.
They gave out a cool ashtray though.

The tokens are interesting as well, I shall direct you here: The Sales Tax Token Collector's Home Page for more information. It explains the "hows and whys" very well. It seems the Illinois tokens I have ceased being distributed only 8 days after being issued because they were too similar to a dime.
Yep - pretty close. This is why it is taking me so long to go through things - I find interesting items and get lost in the rabbit hole of the dang internet! 

No comments: