Wednesday, September 16, 2020

I Think I Got a Good Deal (260/366)

TIME: 8:55 pm
PLACE: Living room
SUBJECT: Chair

*~*~*

I miss going to auctions, estate sales and flea markets.  Stupid COVID.

So, to feed my urge to purchase items I don't need, I've been checking out auctions near me on the Hibid.com website.

Late Sunday afternoon, I am browsing an auction that was to close in about 4 hours.  On the last page of items up for bid, I come across a lot of 2 chairs.  These chairs have no bids.  They are labeled in the auction as "OUX chairs".  They looked pretty mid-century to me and also look very similar to furniture my brother has in his living room <-- which is definitely authentic mid-century furniture.



So I Google - God bless Google - I do not find "OUX" chairs but do find plenty of "DUX" chairs. Very expensive chairs from what I can see.  I found a set of six, which has two like the ones in the auction, with an asking price of $3,295 (free shipping though!) or about $549 a chair.

I figure, what the heck, and placed a max bid of $50.

I got them for $32 plus a 15% bidders fee. I'm still a little giddy!

I picked them up today. The cushions need to be cleaned &/or replaced, there are some white marks here and there on the frame and the teak wood may need some Danish oil to bring back the shine, but overall they look good. I believe they are Folke Ohlsson designed chairs made in Sweden and imported for DUX.

Here is a photo of the whole chair - it's not an artsy photo and I ask that you please ignore the dog scratches on my front door.


2 comments:

Dana said...

BEAUTIFUL you lucky dog!

Sujomi said...

The luck was on my side THIS time!