Thursday, November 17, 2011

Weeping Willow (321/365)

2011 11 17 IMG_6882w
“Adieu, adieu, kind friends, adieu, adieu, adieu, / I can no longer stay with you, stay with you. / I'll hang my harp on a weeping willow-tree. / And may the world go well with thee.”

“There Is A Tavern In The Town,” F. J. Adams, 1891.

TIME:  10:44 AM
PLACE:  St. Paul Cemetery
SUBJECT:  Grave marker detail

After I had my hair colored this morning, I drove out to a cemetery to find some of the final resting places of HH’s ancestors.  I located a few of them, took photos for my files and then meandered around the cemetery to look at the older stones.  This detail was on a stone for Johanne C Lehmann, GEB [born] d. 29 Sept. 1802, GEST [died] d. 6 Marz 1878.  The willow symbolizes mourning and earthly sorrow.  There was other writing on the stone, but I couldn’t make it out.  If I play with it in Photoshop enough, I might be able to though.  A quick search on Ancestry found that her husband, Samuel Lehmann, who is buried next to her, was one of the first elders of the newly established St. Paul United Church of Christ in 1859.  Interesting.
~*~*~
Here is the full photo of the tombstone:
2011 11 17 IMG_6883w

No comments: