Monday, December 14, 2009

Do You Hear What I Hear? (348/365)

2009 12 14 IMG_2880 
As long as we live, there is never enough singing. 

Martin Luther (German, Monk, Priest, Theologian, Initiator of the Protestant Reformation, 1483-1546)

TIME:  4:34 PM
PLACE:  Bradford Place
SUBJECT:  Gouldian Finch

StellaDella’s Girl Scout troop and MonkeyBoy’s Webelos den went to an Independent Senior Living Center after school to sing Christmas carols and hand out Christmas cards and cookies to the residents.  MB brought his saxophone and serenaded them by playing a selection of Christmas melodies.  The men and women enjoyed the kid’s singing and MB’s playing.  I wondered how many Christmases have been celebrated collectively by these older folks and how many more they have left to experience.  It didn’t surprise me that I got tears in my eyes thinking about this as I am an emotional wreak anyway.  To collect myself and get in control of my tears, I decided to study the huge finch aviary that was by the common area where the kids were singing.  Most of the birds were flying and flitting around the enclosure, but this one just sat there and seemed to be listening to the caroling.

1 comment:

Dot O said...

This is beautiful! And, this is Pet's week over at I Heart Faces. This would be a perfect entry.

Those senior citizens do very much enjoy it when children sing for them. Even if it doesn't look like they can appreciate it due to infirmity, I think they do. I know when I've accompanied my kids to senior centers, my mind can really start getting the best of me thinking about some of those people who seem so lonely.....