Saturday, January 23, 2021

Hannibal, Missouri (023/365)


TIME: 12:47 pm to 2:38 pm
PLACE: Hannibal, Missouri
SUBJECT: Mark Twain boyhood home 

*~*~*

HH and I continued our weekend adventures with a trip up north to Hannibal, Missouri; boyhood home and inspiration to Mark Twain.


We stopped by the Mississippi River - I don't every recall ever seeing it being that shade of blue.


We toured the Mark Twain boyhood home and other properties.  In one of the buildings, You could spin "The Wheel of Misfortune"...


I died.
HH wouldn't spin it.  Spoilsport.

After our tour, we walked a bit downtown. The blue skies had left and it had become quite a bit windier and colder.

Nevertheless, we began our trek up these stairs to see the Mark Twain Memorial Lighthouse.


After that first section, we had more.

While going up this section, I managed to catch my shoe on a step and fell up the steps...skinning my palms.  Of course there were 2 older teenagers behind us.  Hopefully, I managed to amuse them with my clumsiness.  

After that section, we made it here.  More steps!


We continued on and made it to the top and the lighthouse.  It was completed in 1934 and renovated in 1994.  It is 200 feet above the Mississippi River.

(It took 244 steps to get to this point by the way.)
 
Here is a view of N. Main Street from this vantage point:

Then we made our way back down.


Halfway down is the remains of the Mark Twain Memorial Bridge.  It was closed in 2000 after construction of the new bridge.

We made it back to the bottom.  A statue of Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn is here. 


It was an enjoyable time. 

I wanted to see the Molly Brown ("Unsinkable" Molly Brown of Titanic fame) birthplace and museum.  Unfortunately, it is closed due to the stupid COVID as the small house doesn't permit social distancing.

Another attraction which I would like to visit is the Rockcliffe Mansion. It is open from March 15th to November 15th.  We will have to go back another time.

*~*~*

Although I didn't get to see Molly Brown, I caught a glimpse of "Doc" Brown with his DeLorean.

Not sure if Marty McFly was with him though.



No comments: