Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Lenten Meal (048/365)

2010 02 17 IMG_4483W 
“I get a little behind during Lent, but it comes out even at Christmas.”

Frank Butler (1890-1967), British screenwriter, and Frank Cavett (1907-1973), U.S. screenwriter. Father Fitzgibbon (Barry Fitzgerald), Going My Way (1944). Explaining how he rations his bottle of brandy over the course of a year.

TIME:  6:26 PM
PLACE:  Kitchen
SUBJECT:  Cheese sandwich

Today is the first day of Lent for those of us who observe this period leading up to Easter.  I am a rather sporadically practicing Catholic myself (my father joked that he wasn’t standing anywhere near me at Aunt Dee’s funeral mass, lest the Cathedral burst into flames due to my presence), but I do abstain from meat on Ash Wednesday and Fridays during the Lenten season.  Tonight I fixed the kids spaghetti with leftover plain sauce and I made myself a toasted cheese sandwich.  I eat many of these during this 40 day period as they are quick, easy and rather tasty.  I used a slice of American cheese *and* a slice of provolone in my sandwich this evening – très gourmet!

No comments: