Sunday, February 1, 2009

Birthday Tart (032/365)

2009 02 01 IMG_0372 
"The Queen of Hearts she made some tarts
all on a summer's day;
The Knave of Hearts he stole the tarts
and took them clean away.
The King of Hearts called for the tarts
and beat the Knave full sore
The Knave of Hearts brought back the tarts and 
vowed he'd steal no more."

Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, aka Lewis Carroll (English author, mathematician, logician, Anglican deacon and photographer, 1832–1898)

TIME: 4:36 PM
PLACE: The kitchen counter 
SUBJECT: HandsomeHusband's Birthday Tart

The HandsomeHusband (HH) was sick in bed all day today.  He did tell me that he still wanted me to make his birthday tart.  So off I went to the grocery store for the ingredients.  After I finished it, I carried it upstairs and the kids and I sang "Happy Birthday" to HH.

The official name of the recipe is "Hershey's Vanilla Chip Fruit Tart".  My mom got the recipe from a friend of hers whose son works for Hershey.  She would always make this for dessert on Easter.  In fact, I have a picture that HH took of Mom and my sister on Easter back in 1990 or 1991.  They are sitting at the table and Mom is tilting the tart for the photo.  The photo is next the recipe Mom wrote out for me when I moved out of the house.  Originally, I put the picture in the book so I knew how to arrange the fruit.  Now that Mom is gone, I like having the picture in the book just because. 

While I was typing this blog entry, HH made his way downstairs for the 1st time in 24 hours. I served him a piece of the tart and a glass a milk.  Maybe he's getting better!

5 comments:

Mari said...

It looks so good. Maybe it will cure HH!

Dot O said...

Looks delicious!! Glad he was able to enjoy his birthday, even if it was only for a few minutes.

SaraG said...

Looks YUMMY
Hope HH had a great birthday other then having the flu!!

Christina said...

Happy Birthday to HH; hope he's feeling better! The tart looks delicious!

Sujomi said...

Mari - I hope it does - otherwise I'll eat it all myself!

Dot O - I think he enoyed our singing. It wasn't too off-key. ;)

Sara G - Except for the flu, he had a good one!

Christina - Thanks, he is feeling much better now.