Saturday, January 30, 2010

Faux Steel (030/365)

2010 01 30 IMG_3908w
“There are three things extremely hard:  steel, a diamond, and to know one's self.”

Benjamin Franklin (American, Founding Father of the United States of America, polymath, author, printer, satirist, political theorist, politician, scientist, inventor, civic activist, statesman, soldier and diplomat. 1706 – 1790)

TIME:  4:45 PM
PLACE:  Hometown skating rink
SUBJECT:  Skating rink exterior

DramaQueen went roller skating this afternoon.  She skates at the same rink that I patronized when I was her age.  The outside of the rink looks very different from when I skated there.  The inside of the facility though, hasn’t changed too radically.  The admission area, the counter where you rent your skates, the snack bar, the beginner rink and the main rink are all pretty much as I remember them.  I even think the disco ball in the middle of the rink is the exact same one from when I was younger.  They were just finishing up with a couple skate when I went in to pick her up.  I immediately thought of a boy in my 6th grade class that had sweaty hands when he and I skated together.  Ahh, memories.  Looking back, it seems to me like those were simpler times.  I wonder if DQ, when she is my age, will think how simple her life was at 12 years old.

3 comments:

Dana said...

Do they still have a "snowball"? If my memory is still in tact, I think that's what they called it when the boys asked the girls to skate during a series of slow songs ... lights off ... disco ball in a whirl!

Girl Tornado said...

Ah yes, such a simple time way back when! The roller skate rink where I used to skate is no longer -- it was torn down many, many years ago. :-(

I like this photo- such a contrast with shadow and the reflection of the metal.

Sujomi said...

Monica - I don't think they "snowball", they "shoot the duck" and limbo and a game called "Wipe out". "Wipe Out" is where boys are pitted against girls. When the disc jockey says "Wipe out" all the kids have to hit the floor...whoever is down last (boy or girl) the other side gets a point. They play best 3 out of 5. The gender that wins gets the rink to themselves for a song. It's brutal!

Oz Girl - Bummer about your rink. Kids still seem to enjoy it and it's nice exercise.