Monday, July 26, 2010

Thread Orts (207/365)

2010 07 26 IMG_8809w 
“Snip snap, good luck trap."

Great-Grandmother Neal (
Work Of My Hands LiveJournal)

TIME:  8:24 PM
PLACE:  Desk
SUBJECT:  Embroidery thread snippets

Just as I did last summer, I am doing some counted cross-stitching to sooth my nerves from the children being home all day.  I am catching all of my left over thread snippets in this Ball jar.  I didn’t want to title my post “Left-Over-Thread-Snippets-In-A-Ball-Jar” <== ‘twas a bit long winded for my taste.  Then I remembered that I had seen these before on some stitching blogs.  After a Google search which took me to Flickr, Dictionary.com, Wikipedia, blogs about Java thread dumps(?) and beyond, I finally found a blog that described my jar of snippets.  Work Of My Hands wrote a lovely post describing how and why her Appalachian Great-Grandmother collected her left over sewing and embroidery threads.  Now that I know the saying, I will be uttering that verse every time I drop an ort in my jar.

1 comment:

Mari said...

I like the quote and it makes a neat picture too!