Friday, August 26, 2011

Great-Aunt Stella (238/365)

2011 08 26 IMG_0585
“A man finds room in the few square inches of the face for the traits of all his ancestors; for the expression of all his history, and his wants.”
 
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882), U.S. essayist, poet, philosopher. "Behavior," The Conduct of Life (1860).

TIME: not sure…sometime between 1930 & 1940?
PLACE:  My 2nd great-grandfather’s produce store
SUBJECT:  Great-Aunt Stella

I went to a get-together this evening at the home of my 2nd cousin on my paternal grandmother’s side.  She also happens to be my 4th cousin, 1 time removed on my paternal grandfather’s side.  How does that happen?  Well, you see, my dad’s parents were related…Grandpa C’s great-grandfather was also the 2nd-great grandfather of his wife, my grandmother.  Hmmmm, that could explain a lot about the family.  Anyway…this photo was displayed on a shelf and I took a photo of it.  It shows my great-aunt Stella (who is my dad’s maternal aunt AND 3rd cousin.  She is also my 3rd cousin, 1 time removed.  Are you confused yet?).  She is standing in her father’s produce store which was located on Main Street downtown.  My StellaDella is her namesake.

No comments: