Monday, March 26, 2012

Church Key (086/366)

2012 03 26 IMG_1827w
“... a key, a very large key, that opens something some useful door somewhere up there.”

Anne Sexton (1928-1974), U.S. poet. "Riding the Elevator into the Sky."

TIME:  9:09 PM
PLACE:  Home
SUBJECT:  Church key/bottle opener

Why is it called a “church-key”?  From what I’ve googled, it’s either because when monks were brewers they carried large keys to open the cellars where the ale was made – these keys were known as “church-keys”; or it’s because the rounded shape of other openers (the kind that pry off the bottle caps) looked like the handles of big door keys, especially the ones that opened large church doors.  Okaaaay.  I, however, associate this tool with punching holes – one in each side! - of a can of Hawaiian Punch.  Who else remembers when Hawaiian Punch came in a 46 oz. can?  If you do, you are old like me.  I still use a church-key when I make spaghetti sauce.  Force of habit has me punching my large cans of tomato juice instead of using a can opener.

No comments: