Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Why Did The Turtle Cross The Road? (166/365)

2010 06 15 IMG_7843w 
“Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.”

James Bryant Conant (American, chemist, President of Harvard University and government official, 1893–1978)

TIME:  8:31 AM
PLACE:  Jefferson Road
SUBJECT:  Turtle

I was driving StellaDella to Girl Scout camp this morning and as I crested a small hill, I came upon a turtle in the middle of the road.  Now, I didn’t know why the turtle was crossing the road, but she damn near got run over.  I pulled over, picked her up and placed her.in the direction she was heading, on the other side.  And was I rewarded with a good turtle pose for my troubles?  Noooooo.  She wouldn’t stick her legs out of her shell.  After I returned to my car, I looked in the rear view mirror and observed her heading into the grass.  Later, I found out that it’s common for turtles to cross the road in the summer when they seek higher ground to lay their eggs.  And all of the sites I researched advocated helping the turtle across the road so it doesn’t get run over.  So I guess helping her across was my good deed for the day.

3 comments:

Mari said...

Good for you! I agree that she could have at least posed for a picture though. :)

Christina said...

Good deed! She's a big turtle!

Michelle said...

Hurry turtle hurry!!!!!