Saturday, September 4, 2010

Monarch (247/365)

2010 09 04 IMG_3169w 
“The butterfly is a flying flower,
The flower a tethered butterfly.”

Ponce Denis Écouchard Lebrun (
French lyric poet, 1729-1807)

TIME:  3:04 PM
PLACE:  Backyard
SUBJECT:  Monarch butterfly (Danaus plexippus)

Although I cannot stand the dreaded milkweed vine that overtakes my bushes and fence each year, the flowers that it produces attract many butterflies and other insects.  I guess I can’t complain about it too much as it does provide some great photographic opportunities.  It was a beautiful day – sunny, hardly any humidity and a high of 76 degrees Fahrenheit.  Today also is a double wedding anniversary day.  My parents were married on this day in 1963 and my sister and her husband chose this date to be wed in 1999…they are now celebrating 11 years of marital bliss.   

2 comments:

Mari said...

This is a great butterfly shot! I like the quote too. Happy Anniversary to your family members.

Christina said...

Beautiful monarch!