Friday, January 14, 2011

Still Blooming After All These Years (014/365)

2011 01 14 _MG_7524w
(On what her longevity is attributed to)
“Red meat and gin.”

Julia Child nee McWilliams (American, Chef, author, and television personality, 1912- 2004)

TIME:  8:03 PM
PLACE:  Dad’s house
SUBJECT:  Christmas cactus bloom

We think this Christmas Cactus is at least 55 years old, if not more.  My Dad says that it was at my maternal grandmother’s house when he was dating my mom back in the early 1960s and Grandma D-- had it for some time before that.  Dad keeps it on a northern facing window seat where it gets indirect light – apparently it likes it there as it blooms every year, although some years it has more flowers than others.  ~*~*~  We (me, SD, DQ, DQ’s BFF-Erin and my sister and her two kids) were at Dad’s tonight visiting and mooching some dinner – Chinese take out – then we introduced Erin to the joys of playing dominos.  I was the big winner.

2 comments:

Mari said...

My Grandma had one of these that was very old, and huge! She had kept it living for many years, but I don't know what happened to it when she died. Glad you Dad has kept this one going. It's an heirloom!

bentonflocke said...

beautiful shot of your christmas cactus.... wow - so old!! Amazing!
Ours are not as old, and this time it wasn´t blooming