Thursday, May 14, 2009

Sunflare and Shadow (134/365)

2009 05 14 IMG_5051 
"Black creeps from root to root,
each leaf
cuts another leaf on the grass,
shadow seeks shadow,
then both leaf
and leaf-shadow are lost."


Evening, Hilda Doolittle (American, poet, 1886-1961)

TIME: 7:02 PM
PLACE:  Front yard
SUBJECT: Red Sunset Maple Leaves

Just behind these leaves is my neighbor Marilyn's house.  As I was taking this photo tonight, another neighbor walked across the street and delivered some bad news.  Marilyn passed away Wednesday while at the doctor's office.  She had gone to the doctor to have an ultrasound on her abdomen, and while having the procedure, she had an abdominal aortic aneurysm and she died.  Her daughter was with her at the time.

I was and still am in a state of shock.  I considered Marilyn a good friend as well as a good neighbor.  She and I would talk often.  She was the "go-to" person for any neighborhood gossip.  I did her taxes.  She babysat my children.  She was always one of the first persons I would invite to see any improvements we made to the house, whether it was new paint, floors or garden plants.  When I shared SD's Neighbor paper with her, she was both amused and touched that she was the subject.  I will miss her.

4 comments:

Christina said...

Sudden and sad news ~ I'm so sorry to hear about your neighbor. I remember when she was the subject of SD's classwork ~ that was cute. Nice photo of the maple leaf with the sun shining through.

bentonflocke said...

I´m sorry to hear about your neighbor.

But the picture is really stunning with the colours and the lightning ... it seems to be a sign from your neighbor, with the ligth, beautiful

Mari said...

I'm so sorry to hear the news of your neighbor, This picture is very cool!

Jennifer said...

Great shot! I am so sorry to hear about your neighbour. That's horrible!