Wednesday, November 10, 2010

New To Me (314/365)

2010 11 10_MG_5135w
“Show some mercy to this chair which has stretched out its arms to you for so long; please satisfy its desire to embrace you!”

Molière [Jean Baptiste Poquelin] (1622-1673), French comic playwright. Cathos, in Les Précieuses Ridicules, sc. 9 (1659). Cathos invites her guest to sit down.

TIME:  4:42 PM
PLACE:  Living room
SUBJECT:  Chair

I stopped by the Senior Citizen’s Thrift Store yesterday morning to peruse their wares.  I found a couple of vintage Christmas ornaments and this chair.  It is very mid-century modern (a style which I’ve been finding myself drawn to lately).  My first thought upon seeing it was how much my brother John in San Francisco would appreciate it.  Then I sat on it, found out how comfy it was and decided that I needed it for myself.  One of the older gentlemen working there saw me trying it out and said that he would give me “the deal of the century” since I was such a lovely young lady  – only 20 dollars…Sold (Hey, I know he was buttering me up to persuade me to buy it, but I’ll happily accept all the compliments I can get).  At first, I was afraid that the style wouldn’t work with my living room, but it actually looks pretty good.  The chair also received Jack’s stamp of approval – he loves sleeping on it.

1 comment:

Christina said...

I like the style of your new chair! Great find!