Friday, November 12, 2010

Chief Mourner (316/365)

2010 11 12 IMG_5239w
“Who'll be chief mourner?
I, said the dove,
I'll mourn for my love,
I'll be chief mourner.”

Mother Goose (fl. 17th-18th century. Who killed Cock Robin? (L. 33-36). . . Oxford Book of Light Verse, The. W. H. Auden, ed. (1938) Oxford University Press.

TIME:  1:59 PM
PLACE:  Back yard
SUBJECT:  Mourning dove

One of the first things I do when I arrive home from work, is to let the dog out of the kennel and take her outside.  She is always very excited to see me and is raring to go out to the yard so she can save us from any invading birds and/or squirrels that dare to trespass on our property.  Usually the doves are resting in the grass and fly up into the trees when the dog bounds after them, but this one was sitting on top of the swing set when we came out.  Oreo never even noticed…it’s a good thing she’s not a hunting dog.

No comments: