Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Just Peachy (209/365)

2009 07 28 IMG_8565
“Movin' to the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches,
Movin' to the country, gonna eat me a lot of peaches,
Movin' to the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches,
Movin' to the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches.

Peaches come from a can,
They were put there by a man,
In A Factory down town,
And if I had my little way, I'd eat peaches everyday,
Sun soakin' bulges in the shade.”

“Peaches”, The Presidents of The United States of America, The Presidents of the United States of America (1995), Track 4


TIME:  9:57 AM
PLACE:  Eckert’s Peach Orchard
SUBJECT:  Peach

This morning the kids and I went to a farm to pick our own peaches.  I love picking our own fruit.  We always joke that they really need to weigh us before we go into the orchard because we sample as we pick *wink*.  Today, they were picking at the rows right in front where you pay, but the kids wanted a tractor ride so we loaded everyone onto the trailer.  They drove us in a big circle around the orchard and dropped us off about 50 feet from where we started.  I do believe that we spent more time on the tractor than it took us to pick our peaches!  I’m thinking a peach crisp with vanilla ice cream is definitely in the works for dessert this week.

Edited to add:  Today is the 20th anniversary of the first date I ever had with HandsomeHusband.  The day after our date, he sent me a dozen sweetheart roses – well, today, he sent me a dozen long-stemmed red roses.  Thank you babe…I am so glad you asked me out!

6 comments:

Mari said...

What a nice summer shot! I love peaches.

SaraG said...

Beautiful photo, what a fun day you had!!
And what a sweet husband you have sending flowers to you on the anniversary of your first date!!
Thanks for sharing!!

Sujomi said...

Mari - I love peaches too...the ones I ate off the tree were sooo juicy and sweet!

Sara G - He is sweet and apparently he DOES listen when I tell him I would like flowers just like he gave me 20 years ago! ;)

Anonymous said...

Ooooh! Sweet and Juicy! Love peaches. Great shot. Must tell you a story.

My DH and I have been married only 5 years. Right after I moved here (AR), I purchased a basket of peaches at the fruit stand up the road. And I made a peach cobbler for DH. He simply inhaled it. Even though it would have fed 6, it was gone in no time.

Some while later, at church potluck one Sunday afternoon, I had gone to see what was on the desert table. I came back and said to DH: There is a peach cobbler on the table. Would you like some?

He astonished me by saying: No.

But you like peach cobbler! I insisted.

He astonished me further by stating: No, I don't.

But, but, but, I sputtered and reminded him of the earlier incident.

He said: Sweetie. You don't understand. I like *your* peach cobbler!!

I took some of it myself. And it was made from canned peaches and way too sweet for me.

Sujomi said...

Iona - Your husband knows a good thing when he eats it. Fresh peaches are the best for a cobbler or crisp. Canned ones just do not cut it!

bentonflocke said...

Congrats for the 20th anniversary of the first date
Wonderful gift from your HH.

And beautiful peach!