Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Pop Pop Pop Popcorn (210/365)

2009 07 29 IMG_8573 
“The laziest man I ever met put popcorn in his pancakes so they would turn over by themselves.”

W. C. Fields (American comedian, actor and juggler, 1880–1946)

TIME:  8:18 PM
PLACE:  The kitchen counter
SUBJECT:  Knapp-Monarch Corn Popper

When I was going through all my stuff for my yard sale last month, I came across this popcorn popper.  It was my sister’s and she had tried selling it at a previous sale at my house and when it didn’t sell, she left it at my house.  I thought I would it would be neat to show the kids one of the “old school” methods of making popcorn (the “oldest school” method being in a pot on the stove).  So I purchased a jar of popcorn at Target a few weeks ago.  The first time I made popcorn, I prayed that the cloth covered cord wouldn’t start an electrical fire.  The kids loved watching the popcorn pop through the glass dome, I do too.  Now they request popcorn made the “old fashioned” way, they tell me that it tastes way better than the microwave kind. 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have one of those Orville Redenbacher (Presto PowerPop®) popcorn makers. I wore my first one out! Of course, the popcorn is made the "old-fashioned way" in the microwave. :D Seldom any un-popped corn left. But if it isn't watched, it can start a fire. Nothing tastes better than some real buttered popcorn fresh off the "fire" and a cup of cocoa.

Certainly your children know a good thing when they eat it. Have you ever read what's on one of those bags of popcorn that you simply stick in the microwave?? They call it "buttered." Never in a million years would butter have those ingredients!! :D

Jennifer said...

Great shot! Love the quote lol. I have an air popper and agree - you can't beat the old fashioned kind. Microwave popcorn will just never live up to it. :)

SaraG said...

Great photo. I think it tastes better popped that way too, but the darn microwave popcorn is just sooo easy!!
Take care

Mari said...

It's the simple things in life that are often the most fun!

Sujomi said...

Iona - I'd like the PowerPop, I think my oldest would be able to make popcorn with that. I supervise with the electric popper, just because it is so old. As for the ingredients - what I don't know can't hurt me, right? ;)

Jennifer - I need to make it on the stove and pop the lid off the pan, THAT would impress the kiddos!

Sara G - Microwaved in the bag is very easy. I like it because the kids can make it without bothering me! LOL

Sujomi said...

Mari - You are right, I've been finding that out more and more!

bentonflocke said...

think also that the old fashioned way is the best for making popcorn. Microwave popcorn is not the real way...