Saturday, September 12, 2009

Lighting The Night (254/365)

2009 09 11 IMG_9799
There are things that we don't want to happen but have to accept, things we don't want to know but have to learn, and people we can't live without but have to let go.  

Unknown


TIME:  7:37 PM
PLACE:  The Muny parking Lot, Forest Park, St. Louis, MO
SUBJECT:  Light the Night balloons

Today marks 8 years since terrorists hijacked planes, crashed into the Twin Towers, the Pentagon and a Pennsylvania field and killed over 3,000 people.  It is a day that we will always remember where we were and what we were doing when we first heard of the attacks.  I remember watching the event unfold on television, the horror of the second plane hitting the tower and the collapse of the buildings.  My thoughts turned to the people who were still trapped inside when the towers fell.  I know I will never forget that morning.

Tonight I participated in the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's
Light The Night Walk which was at Forest Park in St. Louis.  This walk pays tribute to and raises funds for people fighting cancer.   It is something my family does to honor the memory of my mom.  Tonight, DQ and I joined my oldest brother and his family and my Dad in the walk.  We each carried a red lighted balloon as a supporter and Dad carried a gold balloon in memory of Mom.  Afterwards, we let the balloons go after we took off the plastic tube that lit them up.  This tube is a small device powered by 2 AA batteries.  Being the frugal people that we are, we all pocketed our batteries.  We were standing at the end of the walk and noticed that many folks dropped their balloons with the tubes in the trash can.  I mentioned, mostly in jest, that we should get them out and mine the batteries from the devices – just think of the money that we’d save.  So my Dad goes over to the trash can and comes back a little later with about 10 batteries!  I kidded him that now I know he’s a cheap old man…scrounging in the trash for free batteries.  He said that he is just doing his part to help the environment – by not letting them hit the landfill.  OK, if you say so Dad! ;)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol I would have done the same thing. But DH would have fussed at me saying: If you need batteries, I'll buy some for you!! Nice colorful shot. Grand that you participated in the walk to remember your Mother. Good job.

Mari said...

I've never seen lighted balloons but they are a great idea for a walk like that. I would have saved the batteries too!

Jennifer said...

Great picture and a great story. That is so fantastic that you did the walk in honour of your mother. Good score on the batteries! I would have saved mine too. I can't believe people would just throw them out!

bentonflocke said...

wonderful lightning in the ballons - great story!