Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Resurrected (237/365)

2010 08 25_MG_2970-1w 
“Only the dead can be resurrected. It's more difficult with the living.”

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

TIME:  7:14 PM
PLACE: Window seat in dining room
SUBJECT:  Peace Lily leaves

This Peace Lily is special to me – it’s one of the plants that was sent as an arrangement to the funeral home for Mom’s visitation.   Normally, I check the soil and water it once a week, sometimes I forget and it begins to droop, but a quick drink of water and it usually pops right back up.  I neglected it longer than usual this time, in fact, I think it was back in mid-July that I last paid any attention to it…oops.  When I walked by it Monday evening, I saw that it was more than slightly drooping, it was flattened down completely.  I cursed, watered the bejeezus out of it (I think I used a gallon and a half of water) and prayed.  A few stems stood back up yesterday and today most of the remaining stems made their way back.  It does have several dried and yellow leaves that need to be trimmed, but other than that, it looks like it is back to normal.  Thank goodness it’s a hearty plant, I would have been pretty upset with myself if I had killed it.

No comments: