Sunday, August 1, 2010

Milkweed Squared (213/365)

2010 08 01 IMG_9051w
“Two-legged creatures we are supposed to love as we love ourselves.  The four-legged, also, can come to seem pretty important.  But six legs are too many from the human standpoint.”

Joseph W. Krutch (
American, writer, critic, and naturalist, 1893–1970)

TIME:  6:10 PM
PLACE:  Backyard
SUBJECT:  A Milkweed Bug (Oncopeltus fasciatus) on a Honeyvine Milkweed

Lots of puttering around the house today and not much to show for it.  I did make spaghetti and meatballs for supper and invited my dad over to dine with us.  He did – why he even had seconds.  When he was leaving, I walked outside with him and we talked a little bit.  As we were conversing, I noticed this guy on the dreaded vine that seems to overtake all of the plantings in our yard.  Every year this vine and I wage a battle and every year I seem to lose.  Stupid vine.

1 comment:

Mari said...

Nice capture! I don't think I've ever seen one of these bugs before.